4 colpi popolari tra i combatives ma inutili

• 61 Replies

Offline Takuanzen

• Respect: +913
  • Pratico: BJJ (principiante), sperimentazione marziale e atletica casalinga
Re:4 colpi popolari tra i combatives ma inutili
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2014, 23:06:17 pm »
http://www.combativemind.com/self-protection-hard-skills/4-combatives-strikes-popular-useless-real-fight-video/

4 Combatives Strikes That Are Popular But Useless In A Real Fight (With Video)

Written by Neal Martin

There are some (many?) techniques in self defence that are just not as effective as they are made out to be by some. A brief objective examination of such techniques will quickly reveal them to be the ill-conceived, reality distorting techniques that they are. The kind of techniques that shouldn’t have a place on any serious combatives syllabus.

With many of these techniques it is a case of bending reality to suit the needs of those who endorse them, whatever those needs are. It certainly wouldn’t be for the needs of fighting to protect themselves because the tools in question aren’t fit for that particular job. If they were up to the job then there would be lots of evidence to back up the claims of effectiveness. Since there isn’t, and lots of people continue to train such techniques, one can only assume that reality dyslexia is rife in the self defence world.

Which it is.

Here are four techniques that don’t match the claims of those who teach them as being effective. I also did a video to demonstrate and explain the four techniques further. It’s at the end of the article.

Knife Hand Strike

The classic knife hand strike has been a staple technique in just about every martial arts system you can think of. As a kid, I remember spending many hours moving up and down the dojo drilling this strike along with many others.

Drilled in such a manner, and even practiced on the pads or bag, the knife hand strike can feel very effective. And it can be effective.

But only if your opponent is standing still enough to use it.

The only time I have seen this strike used is in a pre-emptive context where the person who received the blow did nothing to try and defend against it. I’ve also seen it demonstrated on people who have ended up unconscious from the blow. No one is saying this strike isn’t dangerous.

The fact that you can knock someone out or even kill someone with this strike means little though. If you could do it under pressure in a real fight against someone who was trying to hit you back, then it would mean something.

The difficulty of doing the knife hand strike successfully under pressure makes it low percentage however.

Knife hand strikes are for people who enjoy knocking out drunks and then going home to record it in their “fight journal” as another victory.

Aside from that, if you are going to attack the neck, why use the edge of the hand at all? Why not use the edge of your fist instead?

Using your fist will prevent broken fingers if anything goes wrong—if you miss and connect with your opponent’s skull, for instance.

It is also possible to deliver more impact using the fist.  You can also cover more area with the fist than you can with the edge of your hand.

Given these facts, there is really no reason why anyone should choose to use a knife hand strike when a closed fist strike would clearly be more effective.

In terms of targeting the neck at all in a fight, clearly it would be easier to target the head with a high percentage high-line strike. That just makes more sense than trying to chop the other guy’s neck.

Front Hammer-Fist Strike

The front hammer-fist strike is another one of those strikes that is popular in many combatives training circles, and yet in terms of practicality and effectiveness, this strike is largely useless.

It makes you wonder why it is taught as such a high percentage technique when it clearly isn’t.

I believe it is just one of those things in self defence and combatives that “sounds good” or “seems right”. The martial arts world in general is full of stuff like this, stuff that people want to believe is effective (and in fact do believe) even though it has never been properly tested or proven to work.

Just because something seems like a really good idea doesn’t mean it is.

The physics of this strike are all wrong. The angle of the strike is moving in a downward trajectory for a start. That would be okay if the target was below you, as in the case of a downward hammer strike where you would be aiming for the back of the neck or spine. The margin for error in this case would be quite forgiving since you are very likely to hit something even if your aim is off.

Trying to land the same strike on a target that is not beneath you but directly in front of you, where there is virtually no margin for error, is a lot trickier. If your aim is not spot on then you are going to hit nothing at all. And when you consider that your opponent is going to be moving around a lot (as they do) then the chances of you even connecting with this strike are slim indeed.

Now let’s say you did manage to connect. What kind of impact would there be? Not a great deal, I’d wager, mainly because the strike is not penetrating into the target the way a punch would. Due to the downward motion of the front hammer-fist and the fact that the target is vertical, you are only going to be able to clip the target, which wouldn’t be enough to cause any real damage.

I’ve heard people talking about knocking someone out with this strike by bringing the fist down on to the chin of their opponent, clipping it to cause the knockout. Again, this is said under the assumption that the opponent is standing still, which isn’t grounds to validate the effectiveness of a strike.

Anything can be effective on a motionless opponent.

People also like to “cycle” this front hammer-fist strike, firing of three or more strikes in rapid succession, as if this is going to make the strike more effective. By that logic, if I cycle hitting someone with a feather, my feather-strike would be more effective, simply because I’m cycling it.

If a strike is fundamentally flawed to begin with, repeated use isn’t going to make it any better or more effective.

And while we are at it, if the front hammer-fist is so badass, why don’t we see it used in MMA fights? It would be perfectly legal to use in the cage. Yet it isn’t. Is this because the strike is so underground and deadly, or because it is useless?

Face Smash

Those who teach the front hammer-fist also tend to teach this strike alongside it—the Face Smash, as it is known. This strike entails taking your hand and smashing it into your opponent’s face so they feel like they have just been hit by the Face-Hugger from the Alien movies.

In reality, I doubt the effect would be that dramatic unless some phallic appendage came out of your hand and shot into your opponents mouth. Then the Face Smash might be useful, if only for shock and comedy value as you watch your attacker gag on your hand-penis. Maybe in our next evolution…fingers crossed.

For now we will just have to make do with an ordinary hand “smashing” into our opponents face. I’m not even sure what effect this is supposed to have on someone. I imagine it might make their nose sting a bit as your palm hit it, but not much else. What effect could such a strike have on an attacker who wanted your guts for garters? I mean really?

More to the point, what reason is there to use something so low percentage when you can just as easily use a punch or a palm strike, both of which will deliver a lot more impact and have a greater detrimental effect on your opponent?

There isn’t any reason.

Moving on.

Downward Elbow Strike

I include the downward elbow strike not because it isn’t effective, but because most people don’t know how to do it right and end up making it ineffective. I used to be one of those people until Mick Coup demonstrated to me the right way to do a downward elbow strike, and I could have kicked myself when I saw him do it for it was just a very simple tweak in the body mechanics of the strike.

The way most people do this strike is use only their striking arm to try and deliver the impact. In effect, they jab down with their elbow which results in only a limited amount of impact.

The way Mick teaches this strike is to bring the hips into it more, which makes complete sense when you consider the way in which you do the rest of your strikes. They all rely on hip movement so you can put more of your bodyweight into the strike.

So rather than jab down with your elbow, twist your hips (in the direction of your striking arm) which will allow you to drop more of your bodyweight into the strike. This will obviously result in a much more powerful strike.

Try it this way and you will notice a big difference in the power of your strike.

Watch the video below for further explanation of the things discussed in this article.
4 Self Defense Techniques That Are Popular But Useless In A Real Street Fight
Io credo derivi anche dalla natura di sintesi "all'americana" propria del Combatives. Inoltre, si intendono cose molto diverse con questo nome, su cui pure posso dare necessariamente diversi giudizi. I vecchi filmati del combatives mostrano in effetti spesso cose piuttosto improbababili, ma non tutto era da buttare...alcune tecniche erano semplici e di facile esecuzione. Bell'articolo, comunque, per le riflessioni che stimola!  :)

Offline Diego

• Respect: +362
Re:4 colpi popolari tra i combatives ma inutili
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2014, 16:30:50 pm »
Rieccomi...
Stiamo diventando molto Meg e Tom in C'è post@ per te.....
 XD
E il dramma è che live ci metteremmo "d'accordo" in due secondi.
Condivido assolutamente sia il fatto che cominciamo a sembrare i protagonisti della commedia che hai citato  XD sia che probabilmente dal vivo potremmo trovarci in breve d'accordo e notare maggiormente i punti in comune o simili.

D'altra parte però se non cerchiamo ogni tanto anche di evidenziare e di soffermarci su differenze o sfumature diverse di punti vista delle discipline o anche meramente personali, perderemmo secondo me l'opportunità offerta dal forum come mezzo per alimentare il dialogo, e attraverso gli interventi altrui capire qualcosa di più di realtà diverse dalla nostra[1] e altrui trovare nuovi spunti di riflessione ed eventuali nuove domande, dubbi e perplessità riguardo il nostro rispettivo “orticello” che ci possono aiutare per cambiarlo o farlo crescere meglio in futuro.

Non è benaltrismo ma io ho molto ben presente la realtà delle arti marziali giapponesi e siamo davanti davvero a un abisso...ecco, lì posso capire il tuo discorso di mondi diversi ma altrimenti...
Ho di certo meno esperienza sia diretta sia indiretta di te con le am giapponesi, sebbene abbia comunque intravisto nelle stesse già una bella differenza tra l'impostazione italiota da quella estera, ma sinceramente l'approccio di schematizzazione iniziale delle discipline israeliane per mia percezione di affinità me le aveva proprio fatte accostare come paragone più calzante nel panorama degli stili marziali. XD
Poi per il mio approccio ciò non implica affatto che un modo sia meglio di un altro in assoluto ma piuttosto che sia da comprendere e valutare a chi è rivolto come target, alla relativa contestualizzazione, considerandone pregi e difetti e per una scelta individuale quanto sia più incline  alla personalità del singolo individuo che potenzialmente lo praticherà/seguirà.

ha proprio la valenza importante di introdurre un concetto/principio biomeccanico (fissa questa di Moni Aizik)...............
.........Posso riconoscere che poi noi operiamo se vuoi una riduzione ai minimi termini o selezione delle opzioni in base ai nostri criteri o a valutazioni statistiche ma questo avviene di fatto in maniera tendenzialmente rigida all'inizio per poi diventare un concetto più malleabile quando lo studente conclude quello che consideriamo il blocco di programma "foundational".
Leggo con piacere la tua affermazione dell'insistenza di Aizik e nel CKM sui concetti biomeccanici. Da quanto vedo come risultati nei praticanti di am/discipline israeliane non  ne attribuisco ad esse  quest'importanza di espressione e applicazione costante di questi linee guida come prerogativa caratterizzante dei sistemi di questa origine o sviluppo dell'area geografica mediorientale. 
Come esprimevo in interventi precedenti per un confronto interstile in questo caso prendo in esame praticanti che erano tabulae rasae in campo marziale dopo un paio d'anni d'esperienza in un sistema.
E' ovvio che se guardo Nardia, con il suo evidente background marziale nel km/kapap come in altre arti marziali il discorso cambia e come abbia metabolizzato i concetti si noti a parer mio con molta chiarezza!

La differenza di approccio che noto tra i macrosistemi è proprio sul programma “foundational”. Nel km e cugini noto “defense against x, y, z” intese come applicazioni e sequenze standardizzate.
Nel kali e parenti sono elencati esercizi (che possono pure variare da una scuola/stile e l'altra/o) ma anche quando sono citati “defense against x,y,z” ma non intesi come applicazioni o sequenze mnemoniche ma piuttosto come drills o contesti in cui applicare e dimostrare l'apprendimento dei concetti, le meccaniche, i movimenti base.
Interessano relativamente le combinazioni o le applicazioni/sequenze in sé, tant'è vero che può capitare tranquillamente che le sequenze di difese non sono neppure standardizzate, cosa invece molto meno concepibile per i programmi delle discipline israeliane.

La tua valutazione della 360 non la capisco  :-[...è più da KM che nostra ma per come la vedo io è cmq uno strumento che, reattività a parte, cmq insegna a rispondere a una serie di minacce trasversali.
Sulla 360 dicevo banalmente che se confronto il riassunto didattico iniziale sul tema di difesa trasversale di colpi su varie linee d'offesa, paragonato alla coincisa modalità filippina[2] per intenti di dp in tempi brevi, ai miei occhi il km non brilla per le tanto decantate doti di sintesi, semplicità e velocità di apprendimento. Sintetizza in 7/8 azioni quello che altri riassumono con semplicità, chiarezza e maggiori versatilità e potenziali vantaggi  in massimo 4 movimenti.

Relativamente alla mia citazione di Peccini e tua conseguente valutazione l'avere un background di un certo tipo per me, in quel caso, era e resta un non fattore trattandosi della soluzione di uno scenario complesso armato.
Sulla citazione di Peccini continuo a non concordare. Per te la sua esperienza è un non fattore per il contesto in cui l'hai visto improvvisare. Per me quando le meccaniche sono assimilate fortemente, con una minima capacità logica, spesso legata anche solo al semplice buonsenso, del valutare la scaletta di priorità per lo scenario specifico  i risultati auspicabili diventano più facilmente ottenibili di quanto si possa pensare a priori.
Potrei citarti fatti freschi di ieri sera, ma per non dilungarmi oltremodo ti risparmio esempi specifici di questa mia frequente constatazione diretta in palestra.
Della nostra potenziale divergenza su Peccini penso che ce ne possiamo comunque fare una ragione e continuare rispettivamente a vivere serenamente. Del resto a differenza di c'è post@ per te del lieto fine romantico non interessa a nessuno di noi due!   XD

Ho sempre detto, e credo di non essere il solo su questi lidi, che per chi ha un certo metro, le soluzioni proposte dagli israeliani sono esteticamente inguardabili e diffido tutt'ora di tecniche che, se ho ben chiaro il tutto, sembrano bellissime a vedersi.
Guardando fuori dal mio orto, il famoso e famigerato Idan Abolnik, giuste o sbagliate che siano, è bruttissimo a vedersi...ma è quella la realtà e non ci sono cazzi.
Credo di non aver mai commentato Abolnik e mi limito a dire che finora “non gode della mia stima marziale” (cit.), tant'è vero che nonostante il (passato) legame mi incuriosisce più Peccini dell'israeliano residente in South Africa.

Sull'”estetica inguardabile” ci sarebbero distinzioni e domande da fare perché come “filippini” e “israeliani”, ma che io sappia non solo loro, hanno in comune il  seguente punto
...confermo però che certe cose non vengano dette...e nel caso degli israeliani è una norma di comportamento.... :thsit:
d'altra parte anche ai filippini non frega nulla di essere belli visivamente.
Ciò non toglie che in maniera non voluta negli stili del sudest asiatico le esecuzioni delle applicazioni (quindi escludendo a priori le versioni “penchak” dei bersilat e le ram muay dei nak muay) dei praticanti con un minimo di esperienza di norma sono tutt'altro che esteticamente inguardabili.
Casualmente e per mio gusto personale la cosa mi richiama il paragone iniziale tra israeliani con giapponesi e il sopracitato “chunner”. :D
In realtà per mio gusto estetico-marziale non è sempre neppure vero che gli insegnanti di km mostrando il loro repertorio siano sempre inguardabili ma vista la lunghezza dei miei interventi se non ci arginiamo con il discorso estetico  rischiamo di finire di scriverne a inizio, se non a metà, 2015.   ;)
 1. Per esempio riguardo alla pratica del CKM nello specifico non posso né esprimermi più di tanto né “controbattere”  perché molte considerazioni che scrivi e che leggo con piacere sono aspetti di cui non sono ovviamente a conoscenza per mancanza di alcun contatto o prova pratica e mia conseguente ignoranza a riguardo.
Avevo scambiato un paio  di telegrafici messaggi privati con il gentilissimo Moni in altra piattaforma proprio per cercare di tenermi aggiornato nel caso fosse tornato nel nordovest per aver l'opportunità di provare e imparare qualcosa a me nuovo magari in un seminario dopo quello che aveva tenuto a Genova durante la prima manifestazione interstile organizza da Costaguta tra l'altro con il patrocinio di un responsabile di un eps che avevo già avuto modo di incontrare.
 2. c'è catalogazione simile tra l'altro nel jkd cosiddetto “concepts”, se non ricordo male pure nel jkd cosiddetto “original” e da un cassetto della mia memoria probabilmente persino nella scherma storica europea per quanto concerne le mani nude/libere